Helping Generations Of

Minnesotans Plan For The Future

Petitioning For Guardianships

As individuals age, many become incapacitated due to dementia or Alzheimer’s and are no longer able to care for themselves. When individuals do not have estate plans that name health care agents and attorneys-in-fact, it may be necessary for family members to petition the court for a guardianship or conservatorship in the event individuals are no longer able to care for themselves or manage their own financial affairs.

At Scott + Hespen Law, PLLC, we help our clients obtain the guardianships and conservatorships they need to legally care for their aging and disabled family members.

Located in St. Paul, our attorneys have been providing effective legal advice and counsel to individuals throughout the Twin Cities for almost 25 years.

What Are The Responsibilities Of A Guardian?

When a person can no longer care for himself or herself or manage his or her financial affairs, it is often necessary for family members to intervene as guardians or conservators.

Guardianships are often established when an individual can no longer take care of his or her basic personal needs. Conservatorships are created when individuals can no longer manage their finances. These systems provide protection to aging individuals or those who have become mentally or physically incapacitated.

As a conservator or guardian, you have many important responsibilities. Not only must you manage finances and make lifestyle decisions that are in the best interests of the person you are protecting, but you also must keep exact financial records, pay all taxes, invest money appropriately and provide an annual accounting to the court and interested parties.

At the office of Scott + Hespen Law, we help clients obtain the guardianships and conservatorships they need to make important decisions for the aging family members they love. Our lawyers also help clients fulfill all of their duties and responsibilities as guardians and conservators.

Contact Experienced St. Paul Guardianship Lawyers

Adults with physical and mental disabilities are often eligible for Medicaid. When family members want to provide financial resources to disabled individuals, special needs trusts are often necessary to ensure they still qualify for Medicaid services.

Contact the office of Scott + Hespen Law today at 651-968-1457 to schedule a consultation.